Saturday, February 26, 2011

Add eel to the list

Earlier this week, I had a chance to go visiting in the kampung. Those are the parts of town where 'normal' people live. I was fed lunch at one of the houses. I had rice (of course), vegetable soup, and some small boiled shrimp - WHOLE.

However, the piece de resistance was a purchased snack food. It was offered to me in a plastic bag. It was obvious that they were whole - with the heads. They were probably about 8 inches long (but curled) and not very big around. So, I agreed to sample half of one, my companion getting the other half. Fortunately, I got the tail end. They were very crunchy and honestly did not have a lot of flavor. I don't think I'll be seeking pelut (eel) out any time soon, but I do need to get my kids - especially the girls - to try them!
Bon appetite!


1 comment: